Sunday, August 10, 2008

Hluhluwe-Infolozi Game Park




































It was fun to hang out of the truck to get a photo with the elephant. He was a stubborn old man who wouldn't move out of the road to let us pass by on our morning game drive. It was incredible to wake at 4 am, while the stars were still glimmering in the sky, to have several moments to commune with nature. Our morning drive departed from base promptly at 6 am with the sun just beginning to come up over the horizon. As we made our way through the park, eyes fixated on the bush waiting for movement and ears attuned to the choir of birds, we saw three of South Africa's big five- elephant, rhino and buffalo, plus giraffes, zebra and lots of other fun things. One of the highlights was the Tuesday morning hike that we went on. We came across a rhino and her cub who gracefully glided through the brush about 50 yards from where we were walking. It was beautiful. I went with Anna's parents and had 3 wonderful days and two nights.
This trip was the final trip for my 'winter' travel. We returned to Durban on Wednesday July 30 only to commence courses on Thursday. After such a free and fantastic time of travel I am finding it a bit difficult to regather all the discipline I know that is within me to focus on coursework again. But it is a good process. I am so grateful for all these experiences. I have been refreshed and rejuvenated in ways I didn't know was possible. I know that the energy and peace gained over the last six weeks will better enable me to find that delicate balance between studies/the things that are required of me and the things that bring life.

No comments: