Thursday, November 13, 2008

ready. set. write.

After a lot of doubt, a long struggle and even a few tears, I submitted the first stage of my research project- the proposal. and in turn this week has been filled with rejoicing. I have received approval from the higher degrees committee at UKZN! I can officially move forward on my dissertation research. My thesis will be entitled:
Is nutritional priority given to pregnant women? An exploration of intra-household food allocation: a qualitative study of poor rural pregnant women in the Inchanga area.
I have spent the last couple of weeks organizing notes and obtaining articles to read. I even organized all my files on my computer- Richard, you would be so proud ;) All that to say, I am feeling pretty good about the project and am ready to start writing. I will spend the remainder of this month in my study office at my school with the goal of writing the first three chapters before I return to California for Christmas holidays!!
Upon my return to Durban in January, I will begin my fieldwork interviewing pregnant women in the Inchanga area. Inchanga is a rural area about a 50 minute drive from Durban. I was introduced to the area through the work of Rotary. I am excited to learn about and utilize the qualitative research methods...and a bit nervous about using a translator. I'll keep you posted as the work progresses. In the mean time, thanks for celebrating this small victory with me!

1 comment:

Ester said...

way to go sarah!!! you're off to a good start! Can't wait to hear more about your research project. maybe that'll get me motivated and inspired to jumpstart my own languishing thesis project :) can't wait to see you! miss you